Recruitment Period: March 6, 2023 – March 29, 2023 at 4:30PM
The City of Cambridge requires that candidates must possess certificates from the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (www.ofai.ca) Candidate Testing Services – Stages 1, 2, 3 and Swim Test maintained current throughout the recruitment and selection process.
OFAI does not submit candidate certificates or applications to Cambridge. Each candidate is required to submit their application directly to Cambridge with all the necessary requirements, as per the instructions in the job posting below or as listed on their website at: Click Here.
This recruitment closes March 29, 2023, at 4:30PM. Questions regarding Cambridge’s recruitment process should be directed to Cambridge.
The City of St. Thomas Fire Service is recruiting for a:
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
What you will be doing
- Working within a team environment to “Save Lives, Prevent Injury, Protect Property” through emergencyresponse and public fire and life safety duties
- Responsible for firefighting entailing the combating, extinguishing and preventing of fires, and the savingof life and property
- Rapidly and efficiently performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involvingconsiderable hazard and strenuous physical exertion
- Responding to fire alarms or other emergencies, laying and connecting hose, directing water streams,and using extinguishers and all other department equipment necessary for the efficient performance ofthe duties
- Responsible for station maintenance and upkeep of firefighting equipment and fire department property
- Responsible for upgrading and maintaining skills/knowledge and physical requirements to currentstandards
- Drives and/or operates any vehicle or equipment as assigned
- Provides excellent customer service as well as being a leader in public fire and life safety educationthrough participation in public relations projects involving visits, displays, lectures, demonstrations,parades, etc.
- Assists with on-the-job training of other firefighters
- Performs inspections and assessments related to fire prevention duties
- Adheres to all Federal, Provincial and Municipal Laws, Regulations, By-laws as well as all departmentaland Corporate Policies and Procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
High school Grade 12 diploma or equivalent (minimum). We actively seek candidates who possess skills, certifications and education that are over and above our minimum requirements.
Additional courses, education or training that are related to fire or emergency services would be considered definite assets. These include post-secondary education, trades qualifications or fire protection engineering programs.
Required Qualifications to apply:
- 18 years of age or older and legally entitled to work in Canada (citizen/landed immigrant)
- Free of any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Possess a satisfactoryCriminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Please note that successful candidates willbe required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last thirty (30) days as acondition of employment
- Speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding, highpressure. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess a current First Responder Certificate or higher with HCP-level CPR and AED
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class “D” Driver’s License with a “Z” air brake endorsement. Provision of adriver’s abstract with fewer than three CVOR demerit points and/or infractions for three years within thelast thirty (30) days from when requested
- Must possess certificates from the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. (www.ofai.ca) Candidate TestingServices – Stages 1, 2, 3 and Swim Test maintained current throughout the recruitment and selection process
- Must satisfactorily meet the vision/hearing as per the OFAI Standards
- Candidates must meet the criteria required by the Office of the Fire Marshal and EmergencyManagement (OFMEM) firefighter certification in accordance with
- O. Reg. 343/22 Firefighter
Certification. Subject to the review of CFD, applicants will normally have completed education or gained experience which will meet the criteria of the OFMEM within one of the following scenarios:
- Have completed a pre-Service Firefighter Education & Training Program Certificationrecognized by the OFMEM that includes NFPA1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has been NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certified from an accredited program from a recognizedinstitution, accredited by the International Fire Service
- Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or thePro Board.
- Has completed OFM curriculum components 1, 2 and 3 with examination certificate and hasreceived NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
- Has received “grandfather” status / certification as a firefighter from the Office of the OntarioFire Marshal in accordance with O. Reg 343/22 Firefighter Certification.
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)
- Demonstrated community service involvement
- NFPA 1002 Pumper Operations certification is considered an asset
We value skills or experiences such as previous firefighting or emergency service experience, certifications such as AEMCA or other NFPA standards, coaching and volunteer work, additional languages, driving heavy vehicles and the operation of heavy equipment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position visit www.cambridge.ca/careers . No cover letter is required. Resumes must be in the following format to be considered:
- Work Experience
- General Education
- Fire Related Education and Courses
- Community Involvement or Volunteer Experience
Important Information: Due to the high volume of applicants received for Fire Fighter, the City of Cambridge will not be responding to individual inquiries during or after the recruitment process. Please do not call the City, Human Resources Division or the Fire Department. Those candidates selected for interview will be contacted accordingly.
This position has an annual salary of $58,635 – 55% of 1st Class Fire Fighter (2022 Rate).
Hours of work
This position requires working rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays.
Posting closing date
This posting closes Wednesday, March 29, 2023 at 4:30 pm.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge recognizes and appreciates diversity and inclusion enhances our public value commitment.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience and encourage all qualified people to apply, including and especially people from equity-deserving groups. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with honour and respect toward their individual dimensions of diversity.
We strive to remove barriers that may prevent qualified applicants from fully participating in the recruitment and selection process. Accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation is available throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Contact HRServices@Cambridge.ca to make your needs known in advance.
For more information on our Employment Equity, please read our full policy.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.