Candidate Self-Assessment Questionnaire
The following self-assessment questionnaire has been developed to aid you in deciding whether you would be a great fit to the role of a firefighter. You should be able to answer “Yes” to all of the following questions.
- Do I currently meet the minimum qualifications and legal criteria?
- Can I maintain a level of professionalism in my behaviour, both on and off duty?
- Am I prepared to abide by the hair, jewellery and grooming standards and policies of a municipal fire department?
- Do I actively demonstrate the values of respect, pride, professionalism and teamwork that are so important in the role of a firefighter?
- Am I constantly seeking opportunities for learning and self-improvement?
- Am I committed to learning and self-improvement for the rest of my career?
- Am I self motivated?
- Am I able to work harmoniously in close quarters with other people?
- Do I gain a sense of satisfaction from supporting my community for the benefit of others?
- Have I been free from involvement in detected or undetected illegal activities for at least the past three years?
- Have I adopted and do I maintain physical fitness as a way of life?
- Am I physically and mentally able to perform the required job tasks of a firefighter?
- Am I physically and mentally able to ensure the daily conditioning regimes required to maintain competence as a firefighter (running, workouts, on-going physical training)?
- Am I able to complete complex oral and written instructions?
- Do I have the financial resources required to complete the Ontario Fire Services selection process?
- Am I able to operate within a paramilitary working environment?
- To my full knowledge, at present, am I free from phobias related to working at heights, confined spaces, and able to maneuver with limited to no visibility?
- Am I comfortable using power tools and technical equipment?
- When working in situations that involve the suffering, tragedy or loss of other people, can I emotionally disengage in order to complete essential job tasks?
- Am I able to work on an alternating day/night schedule, for an average of 42 hours per week over a four-week period?
- Am I able to work 24-hour shifts under extreme conditions with little to no sleep (weekends and holidays included)?
- Am I able to maintain the minimum qualifications for the role of a firefighter?
- Do I have a support system in place for emotional support and debriefing for stress relief?
- Am I able to solve problems under pressure?
- Do I have the support of my family to commit the time required to study (approximately 2-hours a day) during the recruit process?
Review your selections. Did you answer no to any of the above?
Consider applying when you are able to meet all of the requirements.