Experience it – Ajax!
The Town of Ajax, situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, is an innovative municipal sector leader that provides a variety of services to one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario. With over 130,000 residents, Ajax’s rich heritage and culturally diverse community make it a great place to work and live.
Ajax Fire & Emergency Services is seeking highly motivated community-minded leaders who are committed to public service, that exemplify professionalism, compassion, teamwork and respect.
In this position, you will respond to: fire emergencies to perform rescues, protect property and the environment, medical emergencies to provide emergency patient care and assistance, motor vehicle emergencies to provide scene, vehicle and patient stabilization, and other specialized emergencies and calls for public assistance. You will assist with public education, participate in training and maintain fire apparatus, equipment, and fire stations.
- Must have completed as a minimum grade 12 or equivalent;
- Successful completion of NFPA 1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications Levels 1 and 2 (IFSAC and or Pro Board certified);
- Valid, current and successful completion of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Service – Stages 1 to 3 including the Swim Test (all parts must be valid until the closing date of November 26th, 2023);
- Up-to-date certification in both Standard First Aid/CPR and BLS (within 12 months prior to the closing date of November 26th, 2023);
- Current and unrestricted Ontario driver’s licence – minimum Class DZ – (you will be required to provide proof of your valid DZ licence and a satisfactory driver’s abstract upon an offer of employment being made to you by the Town);
- Ability to speak, read and write English fluently and communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions;
- Ability to handle periods of intense and sustained physical, mental and emotional stress;
- Ability to work well as part of a team and have strong interpersonal and customer service skills;
- Must be able and required to work 24 hour shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- Ability to provide a current vulnerable sector check that is satisfactory to the Town of Ajax (upon being hired, this must be received prior to start date);
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Completion of the emergency medical responder (EMR) program;
- Demonstrated work experience as an active firefighter with a municipal, military, federal and/or industrial fire service;
- Demonstrated computer skills;
- Fluency in a second language or sign language.
- To be eligible to participate in this competition, you must submit your cover letter and resume only (by the date listed below). Please note that cover letters and resumes are only being accepted online and you will receive an email confirmation that your cover letter and resume was received by the Town.
- If selected to move ahead in the process, you will receive an email from Human Resources and you will be asked to email copies of all your qualifications for verification (PDF format only).
- If you are asked to email copies of your certifications/qualifications and the documents are not received on time or are not valid, you shall cease to be considered for the position.
- Candidates must possess all necessary certifications outlined in the posting at time of application. Candidates who are in the process of obtaining the required certifications will not be considered.
- You are responsible for all additional costs (i.e. certificates, travel, testing, criminal record/vulnerable sector check) throughout the recruitment process.
- Your online application will be screened by the selection committee and will be based on meeting the minimum qualifications and additional assets listed in the job posting.
- Candidates who are successful in the initial screening process, will move ahead to the next stage of the recruitment process.
- Candidates are advised that written, oral, practical and or psychological testing will form part of the selection process.
- Successful candidates are required to submit their vulnerable sector check with their signed job offer (issued no earlier than November 1, 2023).
- The Town is unable to respond to individual inquiries during the recruitment process and or provide individual feedback.
- Please note: only those candidates who are selected to move ahead in the process will be contacted.
Deadline to apply:
Fire Fighter recruitments attract a high volume of applicants and as a result the Town is unable to respond to individual inquiries during the recruitment process and or provide individual feedback. If you are experiencing any issues with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on November 26, 2023.
Please note that emailed resumes submitted through other job boards (i.e. Indeed, OAFTO) are not accepted, you MUST apply directly through the Town’s website.
Please be advised that email will be used to communicate with candidates. It is the candidates responsibility to include a current email address that is checked on a daily basis including “spam/junk” folders. As we send time sensitive emails (i.e. certification submission, testing dates, interview dates, offers of employment etc.), it is imperative that candidates check their email on a regular basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process.